POSITION POSTING: Programs Manager and Curator
March 9, 2012 § Leave a comment
Position Type: Full-time, 35 hours/week, some flexibility required
Application Deadline: Monday, April 2, 2012, 6pm by post or email
Years Experience: 2+
Salary: Competitive, with benefits
Position commences May 3, 2012
Cineworks Independent Filmmakers Society is seeking an outstanding, highly motivated arts professional to step into the role of Programs Manager and Curator. Supporting the creative vision and priorities of the organization, this includes [but is not limited to] producing an annual series of exhibitions, cinematic salons and workshops.
Cineworks is an artist-run production and exhibition centre that supports independent filmmakers and media artists. Through initiatives that foster dialogue and experimentation with cinematic practices, we engage our membership and the broader community through the transformative power of the moving image.
- Develop comprehensive plans for all aspects of programs delivery, up to three years in advance, including the curation of screenings and exhibitions;
- Research and identify potential funding sources, develop program proposals, and write grants;
- Provide reports to the Executive Director on programs and services for use in funding applications and strategic planning;
- Manage logistics required for exhibitions, salons and workshops;
- Oversee the implementation of programs, policies and operations on a day-to-day basis, including the development and management of programs budget;
- Develop graphic publicity/media materials and compile a bi-weekly email campaign;
- Manage the Cineworks website and social media outreach;
- Chair the Program Advisory Committee, including calling meetings, setting agendas, and preparing reports from meetings;
- Participate in orientation sessions for potential new members.
The Programs Manager and Curator will be an energetic, self directed person with superb oral and written communication skills, in addition to proven financial management abilities. The successful candidate will have graduated from a post-secondary educational institution with extensive knowledge in media art practices, practicing artists, historical developments, and current trajectories in critical issues influencing the field, and preferably with a special interest in celluloid. Significant experience in all aspects of developing and delivering programs and prior successful grant writing experience is essential. The Programs Manager and Curator will be well versed in basic computer applications (preferably on a Mac platform), as well as competency with online content management. Familiarity with Photoshop and graphic design skills are considered a major asset. The ideal candidate will be able to prioritize and meet deadlines and their past experience will evidence forward-thinking project management and organizational skills. The successful candidate must be able to craft short critical, curatorial texts to accompany their programming.
Cineworks is committed to the principles of Employment Equity and encourages applications from Aboriginal persons, members of a visible minority group or persons with a disability.
Applications containing a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a short (under 3 page) writing sample and a one page curatorial vision statement, must be received by 6:00 p.m. on April 2, 2012.
Please send applications by post or email only with “Programs Manager and Curator Application” in subject line
Cineworks Independent Filmmakers Society
#300-1131 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 2L7
info (at) cineworks (dot) ca
We regret that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted